The British University in Egypt

Learn how to think, not what to think!

What is Linux?

AmrH

What is Linux?

Post  AmrH on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:23 am

Are you tired of the buggy windows? wanna try a better and more stable operating system? wanna use an operating system that is 100% free and legal? Then linux is what your dreaming about!

Linux is a free and open source operating system that is being used worldwide nowadays. It's got a massive community of users who are willing to help everybody solving problems. Linux has many flavors—Different versions with different looks and feels. Each flavor is called a distro(Distribution), and is maintained by a community or sometimes a company. The easiest distro out there is Ubuntu which means 'Humanity to others'. It's very obvious from its name that Ubuntu is concerned about freedom and giving all the human beings the freedom to use Linux for free.

Linux is not compatible with windows programs, instead you'll use free substitutes that will always accomplish what you used to do on windows. For example you would GIMP instead of Photoshop, and Blender instead of 3DS MAX. Almost all the linux software is free and open source which means that you can modify it if you want and share with others legally. The word free doesn't always mean free price, instead it means freedom. Sometime the vendor charges a fee for buying his software, but once you buy it you're free to share it with whoever you like, in opposition to windows.

The license most linux programs use is the GPL—GNU General Public License. This license has got a long story that I can tell you about if you want; however, what we care about now is what rights this license grants us. It grants one the right to use, share, and modify the source code of a program and pass it on. I know you're wondering how can a company make profit if it's issuing its programs under the GPL. The answer is very simple, the company can charge a fee for its program, plus the fact that the company sells premium support for the product. That's how they make money out of it.

I'm really eager to make tutorials about how to try linux without installing it—From a live CD. If anybody is interested, please post here and I'll post the tutorial. I'll write a series of topics in the future that show how one can benefit from Linux and Open Source software to graduate with a lot of professional experience.
    BubblezZ
    Admin

Re: What is Linux?

Post  BubblezZ on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:44 am

i didn't know that Embarassed thank you!
    Hazem

Great advice!

Post  Hazem on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:23 am

You are right about Linux. A great OS that is based on Linux is ubuntu. It's free, user-friendly, and you will find it here: http://www.ubuntu.com/

I personally used to have a PC, but now I'm blessed with a mac that never hungs, or drives me crazy!

Thanks again for the advice Very Happy
    AmrH

Post  AmrH on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:49 am

Your all welcome. If anybody needs linux support, I'm here to help.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:21 am